Smudging Guide & Blessings
If you're brand new to smudging or just want a quick refresher, our detailed smudging guide and blessings will help you create a more meaningful and spiritual intention for your practice.
Before we go deep into smudging, let's discuss the reasons WHY people smudge.
Whatever your purpose is for smudging, there are a few key elements that you'll want to know before you start.
Every smudging session should be conducted with a few basic elements on hand. The first of these is the medium with which you are smudging. This medium can take many forms like aromatic sweetgrass, Peruvian palo santo, traditional white sage, or any other sage variety. Additionally, the sage can be in a bundle/stick (the traditional method) or burned in loose leaf form.
After you have chosen the medium with which you will be smudging, it is important to consider safety. Most people smudge indoors, so it is especially important to consider your container. This container is what you will use to lay the sage in during and after smudging. The traditional Native practice is to use an abalone shell as your vessel, but any ceramic bowl will also do. As long as the bowl isn't plastic or glass (glass can heat and burn your hands on contact), then it will be able to hold the sage and embers safely.
The third element to consider is how you will be fanning the embers. Did you notice that I didn't say blow? It is passed down knowledge that blowing on the smoke will blow away the spirits that are trying to help you. Therefore, when you are smudging use an instrument like a smudging feather, cloth, fan, or even your hand to waft the embers. If your sage burns out that is completely fine, simply relight your smudging medium with a match or lighter.
The fourth and most important basic element of smudging is your Blessing or Intention. Energy is everything here. If your energy is nervous, sad, angry, or distracted - it's best to wait to smudge until you are in a calm, focused state of mind. When we smudge we are asking the Great Spirit or other spirits to guide us in our lives, it is very important to set our intention for the session or say our Blessing with purpose. There is a free smudging guide included with every order, but you are welcome to set your own intention or say your own Blessing before your smudging session.
1. Burn sage in a well-ventilated area. Do not leave burning sage unattended. Keep away from animals, children, and flammable materials.
2. Prepare by thinking positive thoughts and say your blessing, intention, or prayer. Never blow on the smoking sage; you’ll blow away your spirit and positive energy.
3. Hold the sage stick at one end and point it downward at a 45-degree angle, bring a flame to the downward-pointed tip, and rotate the stick to light the sage evenly. Light the stick until it catches fire. Put out the fire by blowing it out with a feather or with your hand. Fan the sage to develop a nice, even ember. To increase the amount of smoke the sage produces, fan the ember or relight to increase its size.
4. Place the smoking sage in a non-flammable bowl or shell to catch ash and embers.
5. Smudge your body with the smoke; cleanse yourself with the smoke. Smudge your hands to prepare yourself for the ritual. Smudge your legs so you walk through life in a good way. Smudge your mouth to speak good things. Smudge your eyes to see good things. Smudge your ears to hear good things. Smudge your heart to feel good things. Smudge your head to think good things.
6. Smudge the room you're in by moving the smoking sage around the room to cleanse the entire room from floor to ceiling and from corner to corner. Move on to the next room, if desired, and repeat the process.
7. You can smudge other people or objects by moving the stick around the person’s body or object from top to bottom in counter-clockwise motions.
8. To prevent the embers from dying out, fan the embers or relight as needed. When you are done using the stick, snuff out the embers in your smudging bowl or shell.
9. You can repeat all of these steps with the palo santo instead of the sage bundle.
10. If you are also practicing crystal healing, place your selenite wand outside at night with the moonlight. Selenite can be used to amplify the properties of your other crystals.
Great Creator, I come before you with an open heart.
I ask that you hear me, and I thank you for this sacred plant.
I respectfully light this sacred plant and humbly call on its spirit.
As it's sacred smoke touches my body, I ask that it cleanse my mind, body, and spirit.
As its sacred smoke fills this room, I ask that it purify, protect, and bless this space.
As its sacred smoke rises, I ask that it carry away all negativity, fears, and attachments.
As this sacred smoke leaves, I ask that light, joy, and love take its place.
Awesome products. You can smell the sage through the packaging. Quick shipping and product intact not broken up.
I loved the product
Very nice, I need the blue one now!
Simply amazing people, wonderful product.
Exactly what I ordered. I used the website for assistance to know what I received in my sage bundle. I will likely be a repeat customer.
Love em. Ty
Seller kept me updated on shipping and it came very fast everything just went perfect highly recommend
Can you remind me which sage is which of the four that I purchased so I can compare which ones are which to the instructions I received with them. Which sage does what to help out with cleansing the house?
I will most definitely purchase other products!!
Product was great and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Awesome experience will shop again!
Item came extremely fast and was exactly what I expected! Thanks
Wonderful, was on time and what it said it was